Strange Washer Behavior

alanreinkeJuly 24, 2011

Yesterday I purchased a new Kenmore top loading washing machine from the Sears Outlet. Model 29522. Hooked everything up and turned it on. Everything seems to work fine except when the setting is on "warm" the machine only seems to fill with cold water. There is no mixing of the hot and cold to produce warm. I called Sears repair and they said it was normal. The washer first puts hot water in and then fills up with cold. This does not seem right to me. First, I will only get warm wash water if the run from the water heater to the washer is not too long. Second, if the water coming in is hot, the clothes will be sitting in very hot water for a bit before the cold comes in. Is this normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Probably. Almost all washers nowadays, even lower-end models, have ATC (auto temp control) which involves a sensor to moderate the fill to a target temp for reasons of energy conservation. Some high-end machines have digital/DC-voltage water valves that can directly control the flow rate for mixing the temperature. Otherwise, simple AC-voltage valves can't moderate the flow, they can only turn the respective inputs (hot and cold) ON or OFF. Depending on the design of the machine's ATC, it may run hot and cold simultaneously ... or cold only or hot only at various points during the fill to attain an "average" on the target temperature.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 4:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sshrivastava

@ alanreinke

Have you checked your hoses to make sure the hot/cold weren't inadvertently switched at the time of install?

Bookmark   July 25, 2011 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
Dryer: Changing from gas to electric?
Hi, Wondering what the experiences of folks who have...
dan_no_9
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Sponsored Products
Plumen 001 Light Bulb by Hulger
$30.00 | Lumens
Moooi | Smoke Lounge Chair
YLiving.com
Shower Curtain Unique from DiaNoche Designs by Sylvia Cook - Strange Days
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Vitra | Park Armchair
YLiving.com
Moooi | Smoke Lounge Chair
YLighting