Planter/window boxes & flower pots in winter?

oceannaJanuary 26, 2011

Outdoor decor:

How are you keeping your planter and window boxes, and decorative flower pots looking nice during non-blooming season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

Mine look really nice because they were all cleaned in late fall and are stored under plastic in the garage. I'll bring them out again in April.

Don't need to have things laying around to shovel snow around.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 5:37AM
oceanna

Thanks, Patser.

Anyone else?

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 11:31PM
wi-sailorgirl

I change out my window box and big planter all year. In December I filled them with evergreen boughs and red twig dogwood, which I think looks nice well beyond the holiday season. When it gets sort of springy outside (and they thaw out) I'll pull the greens and they'll sit empty for a month or so before I fill them with a spring planting.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 12:35AM
trailrunnerbiker

pansies...every year I fill a lot of pots and my window boxes with pansies. They are hardy through almost anything. This winter though has been a challenge...not in a good way. No current pics as they look more scraggly then they ever have before but here is from last year...

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 12:52AM
kmcg85

When its time to pull the summer flowers in the fall, I plant pansies, cabbage, kale and faux pumpkins. After Thanksgiving, its time for the greens such as boxwood, cedar, fir branches etc. with giant sugar pine cones. That's what is in my window boxes now. Once it warms up and thaws in spring I pull the greens, clean out the window boxes and add summer flowers such as geraniums or super petunias.
Fall

Winter

Summer

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 8:39AM
natal

Like Trailrunner I grow pansies fall through spring in pots and in the ground. I think you could do the same in Zone 7.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 11:25AM
oceanna

Trailrunner, I like your pansies idea, and thanks for the pic. Even snow-covered they look pretty.

Natal, thanks for the seconds on that idea.

KMCG wow thanks for all the great ideas and pretty pictures. You obviously have the knack for curb appeal year round.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?
I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the...
juddgirl2
Blue bedroom bedding
We are going to be painting our master bedroom 'Bleached...
hornedfrog89
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™