Kitchen cabs and granite and floor advice

nightowlrnJanuary 14, 2014

Hello. We will need to make some decisions soon about a kitchen. Our style is comfortable, craftsman, rustic, but we don't live in the mountains. Our style may also be referred to as modern craftsman? The trim will be white and similar to the first photo but with knotty alder doors. The first picture is what we envision, but the the style of cabinets in the second. We love the look of knotty alder and had honed cambrian black in the past and really liked it. So, we are thinking knotty alder cabinets shaker style and cambrian black or virginia mist or something honed and similar. I don't think soapstone or marble are in our future. The floors will be walnut 6,7 inch planks. The two photos appeal to us. We would select a more simple back splash. Anyone out there with thoughts of OMG that is horrible! Or, have other ideas or exact stains to tell the builder about. Or, have backsplash advice. The appliances will be SS and the hood and cooktop will be similar to the first photo.

Rustic Kitchen by Springfield Kitchen & Bath Designers Reico Kitchen & Bath

Rustic Kitchen by Salem Design-Build Firms Kaufman Homes, Inc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joaniepoanie

Your kitchen is going to be very pretty! The only thing I might do is...if you are doing the honed black counter and a plain backsplash, I might put something a little jazzier on the island for some interest and so it doesn't all look "flat." Or, if doing black counters everywhere, a spicier backsplash for a little punch.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 8:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightowlrn

Thanks. I worry about the grain and knots in the cabs, and the grain in the floor. I have been scouring Houzz and some combinations knock it out of the park and some leave me feeling far from cozy and comfortable. The first photo vs the second for example.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Need help for exterior of home!
My husband and I recently bought a 1960's mid century...
betsmurph198
Kitchen window help, please
The kitchen puzzle pieces are falling into place! I...
springroz
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™