Is Rheem still good for gas water heater?

marissa16November 12, 2011

I have decided to put in a hi efficiency power vent 50 gal gas water heater for a renovated 2 bedrm apt. My contractor recommended the Richmond 5GR50PVE2-42 which is made by Rheem and actually on sale locally today. I read consumers advice about hot water heaters and they say the longer the warranty, the more likely the insulating material is thicker and better made. This only has a 6 year warranty and am not sure many offer much more than this from what I see reading on line.

Recommendations and opinions most welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

The Rheem hot water heaters have a good reputation. I have no expirence with the heaters with power vents. I am not sure if this reduces the reliability.

I think Rheem offers a longer warranty. You pay for the additional coverage. Sears sells water heaters with 12 year warrantys. My Sears hot water heater is 17 1/2 years old. No problems so far.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 9:30PM
energy_rater_la

what is the energy factor?
for a standard tank type w/h .65ef is good
you can boost the efficiency by adding an exterior blanket.

best of luck

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 9:58AM
marissa16

Thank you both. The energy factor is .67 and I can purchase a 6 year warranty for $50 which picks up after the initial 6 years are up. I have 30 days and need to read the details before deciding if the extended warranty is worth it.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 12:17PM
bpchiil

Rheem continues to be a decent water heater - I happen to prefer Bradford White, there warranties are outstanding.

In terms of the life warranties - in your case you are seeking to purchase a water heater with a six year warranty- you can also buy heaters with 9 and 12 year warranties. Just know, that is one of the reasons for the higher cost - you are actually paying for the extended warranty.

A number of things have adversity of the life of the water heater- water condition from the city/village, water softeners, etc.

Within a water heater there is a part that you can/should replace every two years or so(depending upon the water quality used) -it is called the anode or sacrifical rod.

The purpose of this piece is it acts as a "magnet" of the water impurities, therefore the impurities are not attacking the water heater itself.

With that said, you can take a hot water heater with a six year warranty, and with the proper maintenance far exceed that 6 year lifetime.

Good luck!

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Natural gas air conditioning
Does anyone have experience with the newer residential...
blueyebear
Sponsored Products
Ornaments Linen Giclee 14" Wide Rectangular Wall Sconce
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Smart & Green | Zen LED Indoor Outdoor Lamp
YLiving.com
100 Lizard Cocktail Napkins
$78.00 | Horchow
Artemide | Doride Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Hopson Corner Chair - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture