lint on clothes

tylerccJuly 1, 2013

I have a Maytag Washer model # MVWC6ESWW1. And for the past 5 years at least the washing machine has been getting this blue whiteish lint on ONLY my dark clothes (not jeans). This lint seems to only prefer dark colors, the type of clothes, how I wash them, what soap I use, or what fabric softer I use(or if I even use it) does not affect it(I have done test). I have tried everything and when I say everything I mean everything. From different types of washing machine cleaners to actually taking it apart and scrubbing the inside and the outside of the tube down with a brush. Also this washing machine does not have a lint filter. But no matter what this lint still comes back, it is fairly easy to get off. Does anyone have ideas as to why the washing machine can not remove the lint?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

It may not be lint.

Since the removal of phosphates from detergents, the substituted water softening agents typically generate a precipitate, which residue can appear to be lint on the clothes.

It doesn't come off in the dryer?

You might try adding phosphates to the detergent to see if that helps sequester the mineral content of the water more suitably. STPP -- sodium tripolyphosphate -- is available from online sources such as TheChemistryStore.com. A couple tablespoons may be sufficient for a typical load ... the water should feel "slippery" between the fingers (before adding detergent).

TSP (trisodium phosphate) available at Home Depot, Lowe's and the like, is not suitable for laundry as it does generate a precipitate. STPP does not.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™