Can Sodium Percarb Bleach Clothes...

chefwongJuly 18, 2014

Noticed some streaking on a pair of beige chinos...2 to 3 streaks.

It was my understanding that Sodium Precarb is Oxygen Bleach....but it should be safe on any colors.

Anyone care to shed some light on it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herring_maven

chefwong: "It was my understanding that Sodium Precarb is Oxygen Bleach....but it should be safe on any colors."

When dissolved in water, sodium percarbonate forms hydrogen peroxide, the same stuff as the 3% solution that you purchase in brown bottles at the drugstore. Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach. Brunettes use it to change (temporarily) to blondes. If you pour or spill some of the hydrogen peroxide from the brown bottle on a colored garment, you are likely to get streaks.

Whether sodium percarbonate is "safe" on colors is a matter of semantics. It is a bleach, and dyes fade when exposed to bleach. It is a gentler bleach at usual levels of concentration than chlorine bleach is, so you may be able to run colored items through several loads of laundry before the fading becomes noticable. In that sense, it is "safe."

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:23AM
Cavimum

What @herring_maven said.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:55PM
dbfirewife

I have to totally disagree with the above statement... Hydrogen Peroxide is not what brunette's use to bleach their hair. Peroxide from the beauty supply is a totally different product. The only stain remover I use is a mixture of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide (in the brown bottle) and1/2 of regular strength Dawn dishwashing liquid. This is all I have used for 3 years and have not found a stain it will not take out. I use it on every color of clothing and have never had it bleach, streak or lighten any color.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:53AM
herring_maven

dbfirewife: "I have to totally disagree with the above statement... Hydrogen Peroxide is not what brunette's use to bleach their hair. Peroxide from the beauty supply is a totally different product.

I read it on the Internet, so it MUST be true Department

"Chlorine is the basis for the most commonly used bleaches . . . Oxidizing bleaching agents that do not contain chlorine most often are based on peroxides, such as hydrogen peroxide, sodium percarbonate and sodium perborate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

"Diluted H2O2 (between 3% and 8%) mixed with ammonium hydroxide is used to bleach human hair. The chemical's bleaching property lends its name to the phrase 'peroxide blonde,' Hydrogen peroxide is also used for tooth whitening . . ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™