Using a sealer on matte/frosted glass tile?

bethinncJanuary 15, 2014

Has anyone used a sealer with a matte/frosted glass tile installation? (I posted a similar question over in Bathrooms a few days ago, but wanted to see if anyone here had other thoughts.)

I've chosen a 1" x 6" offset mosaic matte (frosted) glass tile for my kitchen backsplash (Ann Sacks Lucian). The color is a soft white.

The tile tearsheet says to "seal matte finish with a penetrating sealer before and after grouting" but it doesn't suggest a specific product. I contacted Ann Sacks, and they said they don't want to recommend a specific sealer "since they're not installers". But the installers I've spoken to have never sealed glass tile.

I wouldn't think you'd seal a glass tile like you would a stone tile (and in fact my search turned up at least one thread here about glass tile troubles caused by the installer using a sealer), but maybe the matte finish gives the sealer something to adhere to?

I'm not DIY-ing this, but at this point in my renovation I've learned the hard way that I should try to know as much as possible about the various options so I can make sure the contractor does things the way I want in the end.

Any thoughts? Have you installed a matte glass tile, and if so did you use a sealer or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Letsgomom

I can't imagine sealing glass- glass is pretty much sealed because it is glass. However, maybe call a tile shop and ask them.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 11:16PM
bethinnc

Thanks Letsgomom, that's what I was thinking too. But, since the manufacturer specifically says to use a sealer, I'm conflicted. My tile guy has never sealed glass tile, but he hasn't installed this tile before, either. He's willing to do whatever I want, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had run across this.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll have him prep a sample board using a sealer (he uses Mapei for other types of tile), and see how it turns out. What else can we do?

I can't be the only one who's used frosted glass tile for a backsplash--still hoping someone else will chime in here!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 6:40PM
detroit_burb

i can see needing to seal porcelain tiles with a matte finish, but not glass. go higher up with the tile manufacturer and see if they were even referring to glass on the tear sheet.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™