Needing simple but good recipe for pickled Jalapenos

ritaweedaJune 27, 2014

My pepper plants are loaded and some of them are getting big. I've never pickled peppers before, does it have to be pressure processed? I don't have a pressure cooker. I've got so many I know I'll need to process them, though, as opposed to just refrigerating them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Check the recipe at the National Center for Home Food Preservation.....

Here is a link that might be useful: NCFHFP - pickled jalapeno rings

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 4:57PM
KatieC

We're addicted to these, so I hope my puny-looking peppers do well. My coworkers just finished my last jars and have requested more to top bagels and cream cheese and cheese and crackers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds jalapenos -- washed and sliced 1/4" (about 8 cups)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 garlic cloves -- chopped (3 to 4)
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Bring vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add peppers and simmer for 5 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers into clean, hot canning jars. (I keep them warm in a couple of inches of hot water in the sink while the syrup is boiling.)

Bring syrup to a rolling boil. Boil for 6 minutes. Pour syrup over jalapenos, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles and top with more syrup if necessary. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth and place lids on the jars.

Process half pints in boiling water bath: 10 minutes at 0-1000 ft., 15 minutes at 1001 - 6000 ft., and 20 minutes above 6000 ft. (Add 5 min. for pints.).

NOTES : We sometimes add some diced onions. Good with crackers and cheese, in sandwiches, jalapeno cheesecake. Leftover syrup makes a great grilling glaze.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 8:39PM
plllog

While you're pickling jalapeños, another delicious thing is horse carrots sliced on an angle, up to 1/4" thick, though 3/8" is better, pickled with a jalapeño. About one great big carrot to one ordinary size pepper (remove seeds and pith). I don't know anything about canning, but this doesn't taste sweet. Sometimes other pickling ingredients, plenty of white vinegar, but not sugar (unless it's needed for the canning about which I know nothing).

Don't forget to always wear gloves, and never touch your face, especially your eyes, while you're handling the peppers.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 12:06AM
publickman

I grill them with garlic (in basket) over mesquite and then puree them with salt and vinegar to make a hot sauce and store them that way. This sauce keeps for two months, and if you make more than you can use for two months, you can freeze portions of it. Normally, I use habanero chilies and grill them will red bell peppers to make the sauce less hot. I wrote down my method here a few months ago, but I did not save it in a word document.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted habanero thread

This post was edited by publickman on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 21:20

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:19PM
jaynine

We've been making bread & butter jalapenos (find a good recipe for b&b pickles and just sub peppers for the cukes) for the past few years. They're really good on sandwiches (and lots of other things).

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
Awesome Shortbread with Caramel and Dark Chocolate
I have picked up so many great recipes from this forum...
dancingqueengw
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
agmss15
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
Sponsored Products
'Simple Be' Flower Wall Art
$42.99 | zulily
Planter Box: Round Resin Brunello Planter
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Good Housekeeping Roller Shades: Linens Light Filtering
Blindsgalore
Filament Design Ceiling Mounted Lighting Cabernet Collection 2-Light Brushed
Home Depot
Arendal Pendant in Aqua Tint
$199.99 | Dot & Bo