Water heating problems!

wzolla86November 2, 2011

So first I thought my thermostat for 1 zone was bad. Now, it looks like the thermostat wasn't the problem, but something else is fishy. I discovered that in my 1st floor, the heat wasn't shutting off. I went to check the taco valves, and found that on one zone, the taco lever was set to "open" so I closed it. The heat in the living room seemed to dissipate. On the third floor, where I was originally having problems, I was getting heat in 1 room, but not another and they are supposed to be in the same zone. Now, when I try to bleed that zone, nothing comes out except a short trickle of water. This is new, and I don't know if it's related to me touching the taco valve, which I thought was on another zone. Does anything here sound familiar, any tips you guys can give? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Not enough info. How many zones? Do you have a valve for each and one circulator for the whole system? "...seemed to dissipate" is not really good enough. Operate each zone and feel the pipes. Figure out what zones are operated by each t-stat. Try to trace out what your individual loops heat by inference.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 12:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee

If the 3rd floor is using the same zone valve as the first, doubtful, you won't be able to bleed the zone with the zone valve closed, unless the thermostat is turned ON and the zone valve is activated.

What is the pressure reading of the boiler? Sometimes the fill valve is closed and there isn't the required 12 pounds of pressure.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 6:47AM
More Discussions
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Baseboard heater thermostats
We are looking to install (2) 120v baseboard heaters...
stephja007
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Propane furnace
I am considering replacing propane furnace & A/C...
zver11
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™