Better furnace filters? Merv rating?

ajc9November 8, 2012

Hello!

We have geothermal heating. My daughter has been struggling with allergies since the heat has kicked on and I'm thinking we need to better our filters?

The merv rating on our current filters is a 7. My furnace guy can make them to fit...they would be rated at a 13. At 36$ a pop...do you think it's worth it and will help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

you need to evaluate the airflow restriction with the tighter filtration that occurs with making this change. In particular as the filter loads it will become more restrictive.....so the answer depends on how frequently you change filters and your overall system.

You could also look at adding UV lights and keep the same micron level of filtration that you have.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 7:35PM
ajc9

Hi Julie...thank you! After researching a bit I found that that could be an issue. I will ask my guy about it.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 1:48PM
countryboymo

I wouldn't go above a 7 and I would also upgrade to a 4-5" thick filter which makes a huge amount of filter media in comparison to a 1".

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 1:28AM
countryboymo

I would also evaluate or have someone else evaluate the duct sealing. If the ducts are sealed with mastic and no outside air and worse yet attic air with insulation fibers and dirt being pulled into the return vents and recessed lights could be the real issue. I don't care what combo of filters and or lights you use, the problem will not go away. With leaky recessed lighting just opening and closing doors will pull crud out of the attic in for you to breathe.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Disconnect for Fujitsu mini split indoor unit (slim duct type)
We are installing a Fujitsu mini split system that...
ylmzm
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Sponsored Products
30" Montara Teak Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
Hinkley Lighting | Shelter LED Outdoor Post Light
$399.00 | YLighting
Indoor Ceiling Light with Fan: Royal Pacific 52 in. Brushed Pewter Non Lit Ceili
Home Depot
Beautyrest Pima Cotton 400 Thread Count Mattress Pad
Overstock.com
Natura Pure Virgin Wool-filled Pillow with 230 TC Cover
Overstock.com
Koncept | UCX 24 in. Undercabinet Light
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™