Flooring for laundry closet?

kendrahroseJuly 29, 2013

I am searching for solutions for flooring for a second floor laundry closet that are impervious to water. I am also hoping to use products that do not off gas and/or are low VOC because of mulitple health issues in my family. Please give me some suggestions!

We recently moved into a house that has a second floor laundry area. It is a shallow closet that houses a side-by-side washer and dryer. Last week, a leaking hose caused water damage, in the form of mold, to the wood floor. We have a contractor working on other things in our house so now is the time to have him redo the floor in the laudry closet. He ripped out the bad flooring on Friday, was going to put down non-formaldehyde plywood, and put a ceramic tile floor on top of that. My dad cautioned me that the movement of the washer and dryer could easily crack ceramic tile, and I agree.

Vinyl tile and adhesives are a good choice, but seem to have pretty nasty chemicals in them. I looked into something called Marmoleum, but it is a water based adhesive and does not sound like it is recommended on top of plywood. So I'm confused about what to use as a substraight and/or covering.

In the meantime, I did find a really great washing machine pan to replace the crappy old one. But as for the flooring itself, I'm confused!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgect

You may want to look into Bamboo, Cork, Eucalyptus etc.

Check this link out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Duro-Design

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 4:00PM
chefwong

I have a area in my office we did with cork.
I can't recall what sealer we used, but it was pretty heavy duty grade.

It's fine for foot traffic. Actually, IMO it WEARS well for foot traffic.

However, it does Indent on heavy items like file cabinets and such. Not DEEP but it does *indent*, FWIW.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 7:18PM
rococogurl

I would personally go with porcelain tile which is rated for flooring use. It is extremely durable and will not crack, unlike ceramic tile. Also they can make it relatively thin so it will not be an installation issue.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:03AM
fahrenheit_451

I like the Marmoleum as you can have a single sheet with no seams, plus, roll the edge and have a cove baseboard with sealable corner seams. Also, this flooring can act somewhat as base isolation. There should be no issue with the flooring adhesive on wood substrate as it is an acrylic polymer.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?
A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash...
mark40511
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™