Help with smelly washer

justducky22July 17, 2013

Ok, so I know I need to clean my washer...it is in a damp basement and so of course it stinks inside! A few times I have noticed chunks of waxy looking stuff in the bottom of the washer (top loader) after a wash. It does not smell and neither do the clothes...yet. At first I thought that maybe I washed a Chapstick but upon inspecting all the clothes and pockets, nothing. Any idea what this stuff could be? I mostly wash on cold if that matters. Any tips on getting the smell out would help too! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandy16

How often do you run the clean washer cycle? Do you add anything to it? Do you use fabric softner? What kind of detergent do you use? How often do you clean the drain trap? Do you leave the washer door and detergent tray open between uses? Is your water hard? What kind of washer do you have?

The waxy clumps are exactly that. Buildup from body oils, detergents, etc. Obviously your clothing isn't very clean either.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:32AM
justducky22

It is a top load ge machine. I do not use fabric softener at all. Using liquid detergent (honestly, whatever is on sale). Never cleaned the drain trap...not even sure what that is or where it is. I do leave the lid open but our basement is damp from all the rain so not sure if that would matter. Someone told me to remove and clean the agitator, put it back and run the largest cycle on the hottest water setting and add a couple cups of bleach and let it sit for an hour after filling. Repeat if necessary. Is there something I could use besides bleach? I don't currently use bleach at all because my husband is allergic. Thank you for the response!

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:44AM
dadoes

Constant cold water and liquid detergent diet is the source of your problem. The odor will continue until you 1) get the machine properly cleaned and 2) change your laundry habits.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Tide Turbo Clean Detergent
Has anyone tried the new tide turbo clean line. I saw...
harlowolivia
Speed Queen washer
When you all are discussing your Speed Queen, did you...
maylingsmom
Does Persil Liquid ProClean from Walmart USA contain....
optical brighteners. Their website is next to useless...
spicy19
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
Kenmore Detergent
Has anyone seen the Kenmore Detergent at Sears? I saw...
sparky823
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lanterns. Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Dusk-
$17.97 | Home Depot
Gray Quatrefoil Trellis Wool Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Charlise Rug 5' x 7'6" - GOLD
$319.00 | Horchow
Hardy Island MR11 Spotlight by Hinkley Lighting
$87.78 | Lumens
Brown Nickel Table Lamps: Brown Sugar 18-1/4 in. Matte Nickel Table Lamp 20178A
$29.97 | Home Depot
Lucia Round Chrome and Crystal Flush Mount 3-light Chandelier
Overstock.com
Rose Bold Stripe Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier