Recommendations for an apartment W/D in Germany?

coteheleJuly 2, 2011

Hello-This is my first post here in several years. I've been hanging out on the kitchen and cooking forums when I have time. I hope someone can help me.

My son and daughter-in-law moved to Hannover, Germany in June and finally found an apartment this week. There is a hook-up for a washer in an alcove in the hall. They are on a tight budget, my son is a grad student. Are there washers that clean well, but are on the lower end of price? I used a washer/dryer machine in England a few years ago. It wasn't steller, but the clothes did get somewhat dry. Any thoughts on the w/d machine vs. the washing machine?

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whirlpool_trainee

I usually recommend Bosch/Siemens washers and dryers for people on a budget. They're not too expensive but do a good job and are fairly reliable. I would definately stay away from brands such as Hoover, Candy, Indesit, Haier and all these other low-end brands. Candy only recently had problems because their washing machines exploded during the 1400 rpm spin cycle!

AEG/Electrolux also make nice machines. BEKO and Gorenje are also good but it's really more of a hit or miss situation with them, IMO.

Definately check out eBay and the like. Hannover is big (been there once) so one might even find a used Miele for a good price.

For even more advise, post you question on here. It's another international forum with many members from the UK and all over Europe.

Greetings from Germany,

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: automaticwasher.org

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 7:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cotehele

Alex, Thank you so much for your recommendations and the other forum. Candy, Indesit, BEKO and Gorenje are new to me. I appreciate knowing how seriously to consider these. The kids can take some time to find an affordable machine and use the laundry mat in the meantime. I had not thought about used washers. We have a Miele induction cooktop and a dishwasher. They are excellent products.

Cheers,
Cotehele

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?
A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash...
mark40511
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™