Need help with hot water heater

brenzo77October 11, 2011

I really hope somebody here can help me. A week and a half ago I woke up to no hot water. After doing a bit of research online I decided the replace the thermocouple on my gas hot water heater becuase the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. I don't know much about this kind of stuff but found step by step instructions online to fix the problem. I replaced the thermocouple and it worked. The hot water heater worked for about a week and again today I woke up to no hot water. The only thing I noticed that was different than before was that when I relight the pilot light the flame seems to flicker orange flames rather than the nice blue flame that I had before. I really don't have the money to replace the hot water heater right now. Any Ideas? Should I try and replace the thermocouple again? Could the pilot light be dirty somehow? How would I go about cleaning it if tht is the problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The cold showers are quite invigorating in the morning, but it's getting a bit old. Thanks ever so much for you help in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

Does the pilot remain lit when you relight it? If so then I doubt it is the thermocouple.

Usually if a gas flame is orange than there may be some obstruction (dirt particles) in the gas line. This could be a coincidence with the thermocouple problem or your work may have caused this. This may resolve itself in time.

You need to think twice before attempting to did this on your own. If something is wrong with a gas stove you at least are nearby to shut it off if a problem develops. A gas hot water heater turns it self on and off. No one is around to turn it off if a gas leak develops. Do not dismantle your gas pilot connections.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
Sponsored Products
Jocelyn Gray Rug 5'6" x 8'6"
$529.00 | Horchow
Super Elliptical Table
Design Within Reach
Windham Indoor/Outdoor Ceiling Fan by Kichler
$268.20 | Lumens
American Drew Grand Isle 7 Piece Leg Dining Room Set in Amber
Beyond Stores
WAC Lighting | Vie dwelLED 18in Bath Light
$178.50 | YLighting