crosspost: riftsawn over radiant, or must use qtrsawn?

huangoOctober 3, 2012

Crosspost on FlooringForum:

I am putting radiant heating under my wood flooring for kitchen and livingroom (and familyroom but that�s tiled).

My 1976 house in MA doesn�t have central AC nor dehumidifier.

So humidity level goes from 20-80%.

I want to go with 3" wide �" thick ALL rift sawn white oak.

Do I have to go with quartersawn white oak for increased stability?

Here are 2 samples next to my cabinet doors. These planks has 1 coat of walnut stain but NO poly yet. Just a sample.

Left = quartersawn (see the flecks or tiger-wood-ish graining?); Right plank = rift sawn.

Reminder: base cabinets = black-brown; peninsula and uppers flanking hood = white

I think I want all riftsawn, because I really like the straight graining of the rift sawn.

I see the flecks of the qtrsawn as flawed or damaged/marred wood flooring.

Or am I missing something, because the lovers of quartersawn would think I�m crazy to not want qtr.

(when the sawns are bundled, usually it�s only 20% qtr and 80% rift. People buy more boxes just so that they can have more of 50%/50%, leaving some of the riftsawn aside/throw out).

Am I over analyzing this?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Amanda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HEProfessional

Amanda ,
Find a truly qualified Area professional and tell him what you want . He should do a heat loss analysis of the area(s) you want radiant floor in and he will be able to tell you what the surface temps will be . The hardwwod floor guys like to blame radiant for all their shortcomings . I have both variants of differing species of wood in homes around NJ for decades now and all are fine . If the wood is in the home for a long enough time to acclimate you should have no problems unless the radiant designer / installer allows the surface temps to get too high . The key is to find the right man , those who do alot of work are not always that man . You wqant a guy who can give you references from customers who's job he did many years ago . Hope this helps

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Who do I call about a whole-house fan?
I'd like a whole house fan. This might be a DIY project,...
elofgren
I need help in deciding on a replacement central air conditioner
I need help in replacing 38 year old 1 1/2 ton 8 Seer...
Doricee
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™