front load suggestions?

saleongJuly 11, 2010

I'm going to need to buy two washers, 1 will probably be immediately (odd, loud noises). I'm looking for something that's got durability and cleans really well. The immediate one will go into an small apartment complex (3 1-bed units). I don't need to have coin operated, but either way works. The second will be in about 6-9 months when my new house is finished (I'll need both W&D).

The current washers are fairly simple, 4 wash/rinse temp settings & 4 cycle settings (permanent, gentle, extra rinse, etc). All of these are fairly simple manual systems, so I'd like to stay simple, if possible. Super large capacity is also not an issue since there's only 2 people max in any apartment & usually only 1.

I was looking at LG and Electrolux, but now am thinking about Speed Queen or Maytag. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grahamw

From personal experience, I'd avoid a large capacity LG machine. About 2 months after the 1 year warranty expired, the plastic impeller on mine broke which ended up jamming/smoking the motor. For the cost of the broken parts, I could have bought a new machine. I had similar experiences with an LG dishwasher when the heating element died... apparently you need to replace both the element & sump assembly or it will leak.

I ended up buying a use Miele front-load washer and couldn't be happier with it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
My LG FL is pilling my clothes
I have looked up every resource I know to help me with...
jessvb7
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
Whirlpool Cabrio top loaders vs LG?
Hi all. I am interested in Whirlpool because we can...
jennifer2413
Dryer: Changing from gas to electric?
Hi, Wondering what the experiences of folks who have...
dan_no_9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™