Dryer venting problem...4 inch to 3 inch?

snewsieJuly 8, 2013

Second floor condo. Purchased the unit with a small one piece washer/dryer (1.5 cu feet). I have just purchased full size Samsung stackable units with a 4 inch vent without even considering the difference! OUCH! We removed the old 3 inch accordion venting which is in the wall and then goes straight up to attic and then thru roof and replaced part of it with new 3 inch duct. The first problem we encountered is the dryer vent and wall vent are offset making the "fix" from the dryer to the wall vent look like an unsafe jumbled up mess of flexible duct and a reducer. This mess not only looks unsafe, it places the machines very far out from the wall! We found a periscope vent to possibly help with that issue. HOWEVER...after reading forums, I'm wondering if its even safe to run a full size dryer on 3 inch ductwork? It's only a weekend lake home, so I'm not using it daily, but need it to be safe. My other question is...is it possible that the walls will not accommodate a new 4 inch pipe? My husband says no. ----
A desperate wife wanting full size washer/dryer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

That sharp S-curve caused by the offset is putting a considerable restriction on airflow. A periscope setup would be an improvement on that point.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:13AM
Cavimum

" I'm wondering if its even safe to run a full size dryer on 3 inch ductwork?"

I have never seen 3" venting for a dryer, but that doesn't mean anything. Seems like it would restrict the air flow, thus taking longer to dry the laundry, just like a 4" one full of lint would. Since it is a vacation home, it might not make much difference.

I agree with @dadoes about that S-curve, too.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:54

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 2:53PM
snewsie

Thank you! We ordered the periscope as we refused to use it with that crazy S curve. I'm still working on the other issues but I appreciate your feedback!

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 8:07PM
nerdyshopper

I had a long 25 ft. 4 inch duct on our dryer and had a lot of problems with it plugging up with lint. I took it out and used 6 inch furnace duct for most of the span with adapters from 4 inch to 6 inch at both ends.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:40PM
jakvis

By area of a 3 inch vent is 44% smaller than a 4 inch vent.

This means that using a 3 inch vent allows only slightly more than half the amount of recommended airflow required by your dryer.

This will damage your dryer and void your warranty.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™