vrf/vrv

amtrucker22October 18, 2012

Has anyone looked into using a VRF heating and A/C system in a new residential build? I had a project manager mention it to me today at work and was curious to see if these systems are a reasonable solution for homes.

Dug around a little bit and I don't seem to find too much information on these systems which kinda scares me.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

If you can go the mini split route, try Daikin mini splits or commercial versions of Mitsubishi and maybe other mini splits.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:26PM
amtrucker22

I will dig around on the Daikin mini splits. The ones that the project manager used were Mitsubishi's.

Are these systems starting to become popular in residential builds?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 11:00PM
niteshadepromises

It depends on your area. Where we are building is known for its "green" building practices and they seem a much more common option than where I live now. I think someone would look at me cross-eyed if I suggested a split system where we are now.

There's no doubt in my mind that they are more efficient than your average furnace/ducted system and they are extremely popular in europe and asia (hence most the foreign manufacturers). USA residential market has been slow to catch on but I think they will eventually. I wouldn't consider them if there wasn't a plethora of contractors in the area where we are building, for maintenance and repair reasons.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:57AM
ionized_gw

I was told that Daikin tends to be more expensive than other residential systems. I think that is because it is more comparable with the commercial lines from others. With the higher end stuff, you can make hot water. That is true with conventional ducted systems as well, but try to find someone that can implement it.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™