Light over Dining Room Table... how far should it hang?

SheeshareeIIJanuary 22, 2008

Hi All!

I'm sure this has been posted before.. i did try and search but can never find ANYTHING when i do.

How far down should your dining room light hang from the ceiling over the table? Ceilings are 8'.

Something i never had to think about before!

Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nskylark

I found this piece of info somewhere on the web and have had it clipped in my notes files for a while:

Another common dilemma is determining the height to hang a chandelier over a dining room table. This also can vary depending on the size of the light fixture and the height of the ceiling. In general,in a room with 8' ceilings the chandelier should be hung approximately 28" to 32" above the table, adjusting that dimension based on the height of the chandelier itself. In a room with 9' ceilings, you would go approximately 30" to 34" above the table surface.

It also includes some information on picking the right size light for the room...I can post that too if you need that info. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 3:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SheeshareeII

Hey thanks nskylark!

yes if you would post the info about the right size. we ended up taking back the one we bought because it didn't hang straight.. this one's still in the box. i think it will be alright in the room but.... :)

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™