HE for Non-HE machine?

PatJune 1, 2014

I know this has been discussed in the past -- I did a search on about 10 pages and nothing came up so I would like to ask again, please: What are the advantages of using an HE detergent in a non-HE machine?

Also, have you personally found that liquid detergents get out oil and grease stains better than powder detergents, and that powder detergents do a better job of getting our dirt stains, as stated on some laundry site a few years ago?

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgect

Less suds, better rinsing.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 2:13AM
markb

What George said.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:51AM
aamassther

It can be particularly helpful in soft water where it's difficult to balance good cleaning with a suds level that achieves thorough rinses.
As a clinical massage therapist, I obviously deal with oily stains often, and have found that powders work best. Especially those with high sodium carbonate levels. I have also found that detergents with several enzymes in their formulations work best at removing a variety of soils.
I have to admit, I have always preferred powders, especially for heavily soiled stuff and whites. For colours, I tend to look for powders or liquids that don't include optical brighteners or bleaches in the formula.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 10:59AM
dadoes

The only benefit IMO to using HE detergent in a non-HE machine is regards to the sudsing issue.

HE formulas are designed for low-water machines so have a lower concentration of water-softening agents at a given dosage level. A larger dose of HE detergent typically is needed (particularly for maximum-fill loads) in non-HE machines to compensate for the larger volume of water involved.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Blinded by the technology and shiny bits
A couple of weeks ago my 20 yr old 22lb Admiral dryer...
mmmm12
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
what to consider before buying portable washing machine
before buying portable washing machine there are a...
moffito
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™