AC Compressor always hums

robcyOctober 3, 2009

The compressor in the outside unit always hums. The system is cooling normally, but the compressor is always humming.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

The compressor will hum when it is operating. I am assuming you are implying it also hums when it is supposed to be on an off cycle. In that case, the relay is probably stuck. Are you sure it is the compressor you hear humming? I've heard some loud humming contactor relays when they are loose. If it's a heat pump, the reversing valve relay could be humming.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 8:57PM
robcy

Yes it hums when its on the off cycle. It changes in frequency from pretty loud to almost unnoticeable. It always hums, all day. I have two identical units in the house, and the other is totally quiet when its off.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 12:52AM
baldloonie

Are they heat pumps?

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 6:10PM
jake2007

The first answer I had is the old joke... it's humming because it doesn't know the words to the song...

Anyway, What I suspect is that the relay coil or some other part is humming. You can't really know what it is unless you open it up. Since we are at the end of the cooling season, have a service person look at it when you have the furnace checked.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 8:31AM
robcy

Someone told me to try starting a heating cycle, and I found that the compressor does not cycle into heat. It have a reversable heat pump. I am in FL so I will require my AC for a couple of more months. I will be honest I know enought about AC systems to set the temp, and expect it all to simply work. The humming continues.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 12:17AM
jake2007

My guess is that it's a relay or a transformer coil. Have it checked when you have your regular maintenance done to avoid a trip charge.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 7:09AM
classicdave

Find the breaker that is for the inside air handler,
turn it off, if the humming stops it has to do with something in the 24v controls.
It is probably the reversing valve solenoid being energized in the cooling mode. Turn the thermostat to heat lower the temp so it does not come on. Does it still hum?
Most the time you may hear a loud hum if there is no 220v power to the outside condenser or if the contactor is not making full contact to run the condenser and the thermostat is calling for cooling/heating. That is the Contractor coil energized humming.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™