A/C suction pipe sizing

attofaradOctober 17, 2011

Looking at the table for my 5 ton Carrier 2-stage A/C (soon to be installed), it shows that using a 7/8th line instead of a 1-1/8 line would result in ~2% less efficiency when running at maximum, and maybe 1% less when running in low stage (approximately 3.5 ton).

Since the a/c will mostly run on low stage, are there other advantages/disadvantages in selecting the pipe size? I have read that one disadvantage to a larger pipe is reduced velocity, resulting is less oil carried back to the outdoor unit.

This is for an install with maybe 90 feet effective length, with coil in attic about 15 feet above the outdoor unit. Obviously, both materials and labor are lower with the smaller pipe.

thanks,

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

Linset sizing is quite important to protect the compressor.

Your application has a longer than typical length, making it even more important.

I recommend consulting with the manufacture's distributor to have them calculate the recommended size for you application, along with equivalent length, and vertical rise/drop. Using an improper size may lead to warranty problems in the event of a failure. Additional refrigeration specialties, or a mixed size line or traps may be recommended.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™