Heat Pump for Mobile in Seattle?

biscribbonOctober 21, 2011

I am thinking about having a heat pump installed for my single-wide mobile home. I'm not sure what the installed cost will be and have not gotten estimates yet. The electric forced air furnace works OK and I supplement that with an electric oil burner portable heater so the FA heat only comes on 2 or 3 times a day. Still, my electric bill from Puget Sound Energy hit $300 a month last winter and I do not want to repeat that. I can afford to pay cash for a heat pump system but I'm not sure if the cost is justifiable. I don't plan on moving for years so I look at it as an investment. I replaced all of my windows with Milgard Style Lines last year and that has been a big improvement.

I had a guy from PSE come out to seal all of my registers and he crawled underneath and inspected the ducting and said that it was in fine shape. He also told me that my FA furnace was pretty good.

I live in Kenmore, WA which is pretty close to Seattle and also is just off of Lake Washington so the days can get fairly chilly in the cooler months.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
speedymonk

Well, a heat pump will be 2.5 to 3 times more efficient than the electric furnace. YOu can drop your bill considerably. That being said, you probably don't have much insulation in your place with bills like that. I'm in Olympia and my bill last month was $103 (also PSE) for 2,981 sq. ft. It was a pretty mild month overall.

Any way to get more insulation in the place?

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:21PM
biscribbon

My mobile is a '72 Brookdale with aluminum "siding". What insulation I do have in the walls is good and there are no water or air leaks. My PSE bill for last month was $82 - for less than 1000 square feet!

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:40PM
bus_driver

For a singlewide, a package unit may be the only heat pump that can be installed.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 5:55PM
neohioheatpump

get the heatpump. It will pay for itself in energy savings after a decent number of years. I see your electric bills dropping from $300 to less than $100.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 7:24PM
biscribbon

Please elaborate re "package unit"

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 7:24PM
biscribbon

That is what I am hoping for. Any good online "Heat Pump for Dummies" type of tutorials?

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 7:37PM
bus_driver

I see no reason that you could not have done an online search for yourself. Do you want us to install and pay for it too? The nearest helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Package unit

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 9:31PM
biscribbon

So sorry to inconvenience you. You clearly have more important things to occupy your valuable time. Thank you for your assistance to-date but from now on kindly ignore my posts, as they seem to aggravate you.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
foul smell from gas furnace vents
Please help. We have a gas furnace (only 2 years old)...
taracol
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™