Carrier system air handler question

aliensweetieOctober 23, 2012

I have a condo with an old system I was wanting updated I have gotten several quotes from different companies ,,My first question is for my unit which has the air handler in hall and is a 2 ton system I have a size issue my current handler is a lindell or something which they don t make anymore I have two model numbers to replace smaller ssystem one is vlx-24-2y-16-G10 and the other model number is ff1enpo25010 either one would connect to condensor 25hcb324a003,,one guy wants 5400 for the vlx and the other one is 3900 for the ff1en.. why the big price difference. I have a trane quote for the 13 seer but they move the handler to garage attic..it is 5700 . out of all the quotes these are the ones I am pondering ,,being a woman in the world makes it a little harder to understand..I am planing on moving in a couple of years is why i am only replacing with a entry unit.. I live in tennessee which has mild winters as well..thanks need steering help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanhughes

The VLX is an AllStyle brand air handler, not made by Carrier. The FF1 is a Carrier brand air handler, same as the outdoor unit. I can't explain the price difference. Not like the AllStyle air handler costs much (if any) more money than the Carrier. I would want the matching Carrier air handler. The AllStyle air handler will likely work fine, although I can't find any ratings on that matchup, if there are any. It was likely used due to the small space constraints.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 8:58PM
aliensweetie

Thanks for info so the carrier one which is quite a bit less is really better ..can you find any ratings on the the Carrier FF1 and outside unit? Yes it was used cause of the current Lindell was installed when built and is smaller..several installer s had a cuse word or two over that one..I am planning on moving in a couple of years so moving to attic would have been best choice ..can you believe it was only 300 more dollars for a trane 13 seer moved..from carrier allstar quote..pays to shop around..

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 11:16AM
ryanhughes

Here are the ratings for the 25HCB324 with the FF1ENP025 (the 010 at the end of the model in your quote is just the electric heater size):

11.5 EER, 14 SEER, 8.2 HSPF
22,600 btuh cooling capacity
23,600 btuh heating capacity

Do you have more details on the Trane quote? Model numbers, what's included, etc.? You are right, it is certainly good to get at least 2-3 estimates to compare solutions and products.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 12:40PM
aliensweetie

Yes it s a trane xr13 --size 024 shp..quote 5882.. mote replace hvac necessary drywall acces and repairs..includes all labor taxes and material..thanks for asking.. the carrier with small handler was 3900 so ..big difference..with relocating to attic..

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
carrier infinity with greenspeed service settings
We just built a new home in central Kansas this year,...
Energywise.ks
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™