Pedestals/Platform on 2nd Floor?

ecf1216June 2, 2014

My laundry room is on the second floor in my home, and my current (10-yr old, Kenmore HE3T) washer vibrates the whole house when it spins.

We will be replacing that washer, and i'm wondering if it will make matters better or worse (or have no impact) if we use pedestals or build a platform for the units.

We will likely reinforce the floor by screwing a 1" piece of plywood into the floor under the machine and then topping that with an anti-vibration mat of some sort (barn mat?).

I'd like to raise the washer and dryer so they are more convenient to use, but am ok with leaving them on the floor if that will make a difference.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LARemodel

I have the same question. My laundry room is currently on the main floor. I am thinking about moving it to the 2nd floor, as part of a bathroom remodel. All bedrooms are on the 2nd floor.

I currently have LG ultra-capacity, front-loading, high-efficiency w/d that I acquired a few years ago, 2nd-hand from relatives. I do not have pedestals or platforms for the w/d.

I read that vibration from high-powered washers can be a problem for a 2nd-floor installation; so I'd like to hear suggestions on how to handle this.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™