kingmanJune 13, 2010

This may sound dumb, but its me, I bought a house and it has a dryer hooked to electricity, but when I pulled it away from the wall down at the bottom is a metal hose connecting it. Do I have an electric or a gas dryer???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

All dryers require electricity. Units that use a gas burner for generating heat still need electricity to run the timer/control mechanism and drum/blower motor.

A gas dryer has a standard 110/120 volt power cord along with the gas connection.

An electric dryer has a heavier 220 volt power cord, and of course no gas connection.

    Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You have a gas dryer.
Look again and you should see the 4" dryer exhaust and a 5/8" flex pipe connected to black pipe to the wall, it's a sure sign being gas or converted to propane if you have a tank outside your residence.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 10:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What size is the metal hose of which you speak? about 4" or so? That's the vent. More the size of a garden hose it's probably a gas line.

And it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 110v and 220v AC cord.

    Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 5:04PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™