Retro rough-in for HE condensing furnace

alan_s_thefirstOctober 26, 2012

My house was constructed in the mid-'80s with a mid-efficiency furnace with a B-vent, and no provision for a/c.

I'd really like to do whatever I can to make upgrading less expensive, either for my own future use, or resale.

I can run a lineset out there through a fairly snug chase that runs right out to the side of the house, exactly where I'd want to put the a/c compressor, it's ideal.

I don't know the sizing exactly, and I suppose I could get someone in to figure it out, but as I understand it, an oversized line set would not be an issue.

My plan would be to run/do everything I can so it's ready to go, including concrete pad, cable, line set and perhaps even the vent/air intake pipes, which leads me to my question:

From what I've seen on new construction I've worked on, some people run oversized pipes and reducers. I'm figuring on just running the pipe into the mechanical room, and a future installer would connect them to the new furnace.

I know cement type's really crucial for condensing furnaces- you have to use the right cement for the right brand of pipe, so I'm wondering if it's going to be an issue two or three years later? If I buy brand x pipe, will there be an issue if the installer wants to use their own brand of pipe/cement?

And, can I go oversized, rather than risk being undersized? I thought I'd terminate them outside if possible, so the exterior is finished and ready - either with the combined vent/intake type, or the 90 degree offset sweep elbows I've seen used (I'm in BC Canada.)

More Discussions
Replacing heat pump and keeping current air handler....
Well the good news is we are being blessed with a new...
piratechick
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
No Fully Trained Mini Split Installers
Reading threads about mini split heat pumps I got curious...
nerdyshopper
Natural gas air conditioning
Does anyone have experience with the newer residential...
blueyebear
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™