Goodman HVAC - worth upgrading
Moving into a new house, mid-atlantic area, ~1400 sqft one floor, R19 walls, R30 ceiling, with a full (~1300 sqft) unfinished basement.
Standard equipment is a Goodman single stage system:
- 69k BTU 92% AFUE furnance
- 2.5 tons 13 SEER AC
[This is what they also equip crawlspace-only homes with, ie. no capacity upgrade with the full basement.]
I asked the developer to price out 2 upgrades:
A. Single stage:
- 92k 95% AFUE Dual$aver furnace (single stage thermostat, but internally can run a 60% btu initially, then moves to full heat after a given time). Also adds a 10yr unit warranty.
- 3.0 ton 16 SEER AC - adds lifetime compressor warranty
B. Dual stage
- 92k 95% AFUE variable speed blower (10yr unit warranty)
- 3.0 ton 18 SEER AC (and lifetime compressor warranty)
- 'ComfortNet' protocol with top of the line CTK01 thermostat
Based on internet pricing:
- between std and 'A' seemed to be about $1200; the developer wants $2300.
- between std and 'B' seemed to be I think about $3k; the developer wants $4400.
I was looking to get some incremental upgrades:
- a little more efficiency (lot more on the AC)
- longer warranties
- higher capacity to better handle the basement (assuming at some point some/all might be finished space)
- dual stage (knew that would be more $$)
I'm trying to decide if the costs are justifiable. I don't know how Goodman is on service life. I've heard of Trane, York, Lennox, Carrier before, never Goodman. If it's not the most reliable brand, do I want to be putting "good money after bad". [FYI - no option to get any other vendor's HVAC system installed).
I know moving from 13 to 16 or 18 SEER can save money. But will I save THAT much money to offset the higher up front costs. [As new development, I don't think I have the ability to claim any efficiency rebates, even if ones were available.]
Option (C) I guess would be to just run with this equipment, save my money, and figure when it dies, replace it then with a better system.
I have a couple of days to decide if I want either upgrade. Any replies would be appreciated.