GE Rightheight

Jrussell4June 11, 2013

Does anyone out there have any comments about these appliances? They just started being manufactured in the US, according to GE's website. Our long nightmare with our FL Kenmore purchased in 2000 is ending - new interior drum in 2006, and now it appears the motor has completely burnt out or the control board is gone. I like the idea of a domestically made machine, but not if repairs will double or triple the price over 10 years.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Long time lurker, and so I finally decided to join given the new washing machine crisis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

Despite GE's claims, tall front-load washers and dryers have been done before, by Amana in the '90s and Westinghouse in the '70s. I don't see any advantage of having the riser built-in as opposed to using a pedestal, which is available for almost every front-load laundry machine.

The large capacity and door openings look good though.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 1:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jrussell4

Thanks lee676. That was my thinking as well. At least with add-on pedestals you get some more storage space. I don't believe that it true with the GE Rightheight.

Our main issue is trying to buy something made in the US. GE says they expanded their Kentucky plant to start building the Rightheights here:

http://pressroom.geappliances.com/news/ge-selects-appliance-park-for-new-washer-and-dryer-production-creating-200-jobs

But now here's the situation: I figured out that what the old, infamous Kenmore 417.42042100 needed was a door latch assembly. $75 part, 30 minutes of work. I think we're good for another year with the Fridgemore. So the big question is: if you had to do it all over again this year, would you buy a front loader with computer bells and whistles (like the Rightheight), or go old school with a US-made top loading Speed Queen or Whirlpool with dials only?

I know this has been discussed exhaustively in past posts, but I haven't seen it recently. If anyone is reading this, let the games begin.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
Official Cheer HE Powder...Finally
I was so happy to find that P&G now offers Cheer...
kgdallas
Sponsored Products
Weathered Bronze Geo Tempo 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Clear Seeded, Square, Ge
$264.10 | Bellacor
Black & Decker Bump Feed Trimmer Replacement Spool - 1223-0066
$23.99 | Hayneedle
27" Gray Granite Stone Trough Bathroom Sink - CORSICA
Living'ROC
GE Stainless Steel Over-the-Range 30-inch Microwave Oven
Overstock.com
Quoizel Genova GE5006SE Chandelier - GE5006SE
$519.99 | Hayneedle
Gama Sonic GS-97F-GE Post Mount Black Imperial Solar Light with 8 Bright-white L
Overstock.com
Vig Furniture - Genesis - Made in Italy Contemporary Bed with...
Great Furniture Deal
Kidshine White 17-Inch Three Light Semi-Flush Mount Fixture
$98.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™