Venting a closet with a stacking washer/dryer - need help!

blondelleJune 1, 2013

I found out the hard way what happens when there's no venting. A tenant put this in his apartment and he never told me there was mold growing. When he moved out I was horrified to see black mold all over the place! The closet is near the outside wall of the house. Is running a vent to the outside my only option? I don't want to buy ventless units.

How much should such a vent run, and what type of contractor would do this type of work? Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
studio460

Ideally, an HVAC professional. I'm far from an expert, however, the task is often easy enough for anyone who's the least bit handy. A 5' length of 4" metal ducting costs $7 at Home Depot. You may need a couple of 90-degree turns, and an outside covered vent--all told, under $50 in materials (the most expensive part is the metal ducting tape that costs about $15/roll). You may also need a 4-1/8" hole-saw and a drill (or some other cutting tool) to cut a 4" hole into your siding.

If you need the cosmetics of an in-wall vent installation, that's a bit more challenging (needing an even "handier" guy/gal), and requires more specialized ducting, which is slightly more expensive, and not carried by Home Depot.

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 6:00

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fahrenheit_451

Are you the landlord or the manager? If you have not already done so, you need to perform remediation of the mold affected area. Inspection could very yield the need to further pull drywall away from the studs and to clean and replace materials in the affected area. This is also a good time to review where a dyer vent can be established. You will need to contact your city's Building Department regarding building code as they apply to dryer vents and gas /electrical requirements for laundry spaces.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
New Front Load Speed Queens
Hi everyone, we are replacing our old GE's- adding...
remodnana
Does Persil Liquid ProClean from Walmart USA contain....
optical brighteners. Their website is next to useless...
spicy19
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Sponsored Products
Black Vetiver and Oak Sachet
$25.50 | FRONTGATE
Rite Lite 5 LED Puck Light With Optional Light Sensor, White, 3 Pack LPL623WXLL
$18.39 | Home Depot
Cedar Tie & Belt Hanger
Signature Hardware
Carter Black Bench Laundry Hamper
Overstock.com
Windster 36W in. RA-77B Series Wall Mounted Range Hood - RA-77B36
$639.00 | Hayneedle