Tempstar reputation

newtoremodelOctober 10, 2011

I've been talking to various hvac contractors about completely new HVAC/duct systems for an extensively remodeled 3400 sq foot single story house in Southern CA. I've learned a lot just by reviewing the previous threads, but one of the contractors uses Tempstar exclusively and there isn't a lot of info here regarding that brand. Supposedly, they're made in the same factory as Carrier. How do their products and the company rate compared to some of the other more well known companies? I know some of their products don't have the full 10 year warranty. Are there some models that I should really stay away from? I'm planning to have at least 2 zones, using a damper system.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tempstar Link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuckfh

Get a Goodman! 10 years and with Labor 10 years. And for get the zone business. Install two smaller systems. Keep it simple, save money. Just find a NATE Contractor. Good Luck. If Carrier and Tempstar is made in the same factory...that doesnt mean anything....to day All of them are using parts, and compressor, interchanging things...keeping OEM just enough to keep you thinking there are GREAT Differences in the product. Yes they have good, bad, and ugly in all brands. Get a 10/10 peace of mind and forget the fluff.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 7:15PM
brickeyee

Who installs the system is more important than the brand on the condenser housing.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 10:40AM
mike_home

I don't understand how two independent systems can be cheaper than a single system with zoning. If this was true then systems with zoning would not exist.

I agree getting a 10 year parts and labor warranty is a good idea, but Goodman is not the only manufacturer who offers it.

Do a search on Goodman in this forum. It seems the rate of complaints on Goodman products seems higher than other brands. For some reason Goodman products also seem to be associated with bad installations.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 2:13PM
baldloonie

Tempstar is indeed owned by Carrier/United Technologies, same factories. They the "entry level" aka builder models which look almost identical to the Carrier/Bryant builder units. Then they have the "mainline" which is a deluxe model, a bit fancier than comparable Carrier/Bryant units with a better warranty.

But yes, key is the best possible contractor and good contractors seem to be getting harder & harder to come by.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 8:32PM
newtoremodel

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like I would be fine with a higher end Tempstar, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence in that particular HVAC contractor. Especially when he said that he's been doing this for 20 years and he's always had more problems with the damper systems compared to 2 separate systems. He also blew off my request for a Manual J when others are offering the Manual J and the Manual D/S calculations.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Greenspeed, is this setup ideal/ worth it?
I am building up on my house (cape style) in Long Island...
David
Enery efficiency of exposed ductwork?
What are your thoughts on the energy efficiency of...
ccintx
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™