how to care for cotton/rayon/modal

beaglencJune 23, 2013

My daughter just got several Land's End t-shirts, one white and other various colors. Can they be washed in warm water and will lcb harm the white one? She usually bleaches her white cottons.
Oops! Should be cotton 56%, rayon38% and 6% spandex.

This post was edited by beagle_nc on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:35

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgect

Care for Modal as you would cotton.
It can be washed in any water temp., follow label directions.

Full strength chlorine bleach can weaken the fiber. Dilute solutions can be used safely for stain removal and whitening. However, even dilute solutions will weaken fibers causing them to rip and wear out if used too often.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 7:40AM
Cavimum

Yes, I think LCB would harm this fabric blend. I would never use LCB (liquid chlorine bleach) on any fabric that has rayon and/or spandex(lycra), except as a Last Resort and I was ready to toss it anyway in case of fatal damage.

If you must, try a non-chlorine bleach instead, like Clorox II or OxiClean.

I would also recommend washing the colors on a COLD setting.

I have some rayon/spandex tees from Talbots, and that stuff will pill in no time flat. Best to wash all of them on a Delicate cycle. Be aware of that with the rayon blend. Knits with rayon and spandex generally don't hold up well. Maybe the cotton in your DD's will help.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 4:15PM
rococogurl

I have those t-shirts as well and I've found them tricky to launder. I started them on warm but didn't like the result. I use cold, dry them partially, then lay them flat before folding.

If they are being washed with liquid bleach they will last one season before they begin to look old.

Many people still use clorine bleach but I don't see the necessity. Persil with a small oxyclean booster even gets white dishtowels bright and stain-free.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:55AM
oregpsnow

Try putting your shirts in a large-size lingerie bag to reduce friction that can cause pilling. Get a good one - Woolite brand bags are good. The cheap ones have a too-large weave and things get caught in them, defeating the purpose.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load
Hi, I've been searching for the answer to this question...
jenmenke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™