Why is our furnace be blowing cold air when thrm is set to heat?

myclementineOctober 26, 2008

We woke this morning to cold air coming out of the vents. What could the problem be?

No body has touched anything out there. I am not sure how to check the condensation to see if it is full or plugged.

Any suggestions? Of course it is Sun. so I will have to wait until tomorrow to call the heating guys.

myclementine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myclementine

Well, we turned the thermestat off for a while and changed the filters then turned the therm back on and voila, hot air! So what really happened? Why would it do that? I just don't understand.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 2:28PM
veesubotee

It is very possible that your filters were dirty and/or restrictive, thus reducing air flow. When this happens, temperature inside the furnace may rise to an unsafe level.

Then, the burner turns off and the fan runs to cool everything down. This is a safety feature.

What type of filters are you using and where are they located? Some pleated filters (Filtrete, 3M)can be restrictive.

V

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 3:08PM
myclementine

I bet that is what happened. DH hates changing those filters even though DS and I have bad allergies. We have 1 filter headed up the stairs to the bonus room and one in the great room/living area.
How often are filters to be changed? I am thinking it would be a good Christmas gift for DH :)

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 3:30PM
myclementine

It quit working again Sunday evening so I called our local repair guys and they came Tuesday afternoon. The board was bad.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™