Interior Attic Access Cover

blueberrier1October 1, 2011

Garage hall attic access is via a pull down ladder/werner that has weak springs, so hatch does not tightly close. Am improving the attic cover (now 6" of blue dow) and would like to add a cover in the hall 9' ceiling.

Seems like I read an article years ago about this-but cannot locate any info now. Thought this could be hinged to drop down before the access ladder.

Looking for input-esp if you have done this .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

A few years ago I built a box out of one inch rigid insulation. It sits on the attic floor and covers the folded pull down attic stairs. I put strip of foam insultaion around the perimeter of the stairs. The box sits on this for a tight seal. I don't have hinges. I simply lift it up when going up the stairs. The box will sit upright on one of the long sides.

These plans look similar to the ones I used. I do not add the insulation batt. You may have to modify the demensions to fit your opening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic stairs cover box

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberrier1

Thanks, Mike. Already have done this, but due to the lack of a tight fit on the drop down ladder assembly, I want to build a 'box' and place it on the house side of the drop down door. This will be seen by those who look up. 9'ceiling-so plenty of space.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
Need help choosing an efficient HRV Air Exchanger
Hi, My house as a total area of 2300 square feet (1150*x)....
Jim_Lafleur
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™