piccalilli aka green tomato relish aka southern chow chow

moonwolf_gwJune 27, 2012

Hi everyone,

I found this recipe a while back and mentioned it to my sister. She and my cousin showed great interest in it lol. We have never eaten it but it sounds really delicious! Has anyone ever tried it? Here is the recipe:

Piccalilli AKA Green Tomato Relish AKA Southern Chow Chow

Yield: About 9 half pints (8 ounces each)

8-10 large green tomatoes-Makes 6 cups chopped

4-5 sweet red peppers (yellow and orange may also be used for color)-Makes 1 1/2 cups chopped

3 large green Bell peppers-Makes 1 1/2 cups chopped

1 large or 2 medium heads of cabbage-Makes 7 1/2 cups chopped

2 1/4 cups chopped onions

1/2 cup canning/pickling salt

3 Tablespoons mixed pickling spice

4 1/2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)

3 cups brown sugar

Wash and chop vegetables as finely or as coarsely as you like. In a large pot, mix veggies with the salt and pour enough hot (NOT boiliing) water over the veggies. Let stand for 12 hours. Prepare canner, jars, and lids. Drain and dry veggies. Add spices to a spice bag, a piece of cheesecloth, or a piece of clean, thin cotton, and tie. Add spice bag, vinegar, and brown sugar to a large pot. Bring to a boil, add veggies, and return to a boil. Remove spice bag. Fill jars to a 1/4 inch headspace, remove air bubbles, wipe rims, and seal. Process 5 minutes in a boiling water canner. Remove jars from canner and let cool for 24 hours. Once jars are completely cooled, label and store. Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

My grandmother made something like that.....but it included some cauliflower. I don't have her recipe....and frankly I doubt if she had one....just dumped stuff in a pot!
Sounds good to me!
Linda c

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 2:00PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Linda, lol my grandmother (the one who's recipes I share all the time), doesn't have a written recipe for anything she made either. Just had to watch her make it to see how it was done lol.

A correction to the recipe, it's supposed to be 1/2 inch headspace, not 1/4 inch headspace.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 2:30PM
caliloo

My grandmother always added a little tumeric to make it neon yellow (and the cauliflower bits). I have fond memories of it!

Alexa

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 3:19PM
ynnej

Cauliflower sounds like a wonderful addition. I have two medium heads of cabbage- but one is green and one is purple. Think it would work?

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™