thermostat or englander pellet stove

neksteveOctober 8, 2012

I have a new englander(summers heat) pellet stove, I'd like to have a thermostat turn it on and off to save pellets during the day as on setting #1 the house gets to hot. The company says it can only control the amount of pellets coming out by the thermostat selecting 1 through 9 setting on the stove. Is there a way that would actually turn the stove on or off according to a preset temperture say 72?I would manually select a setting like 1 or 2 depending on outside temp.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countryboymo

I think all that unit is capable of is to toggle from low to whatever other setting is selected. If you call their customer service it is the best of any stove company out there. One of the guys is a regular on the hearth.com forum and is tremendously helpful for Englander and other brands in general. Call their service and check out Hearth.com because there is a ton of helpful information on the Englander stoves which are great units.

Here is a link that might be useful: hearth forum in pellet stove section

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 3:43PM
neksteve

Thank you. I did call and you are correct guess thats all it will do. although i had a guy suggest taking a electric heater thermostate and adapting it to a outlet, the thermostat would cut power on off the the outlet only draw back it would not be good for the stove as it needs tp burn down.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 4:29PM
countryboymo

With some fine tuning you might be able to idle the stove down a bit more on low which will help. Weather as it progresses will help also as it gets colder.

I would NOT under any circumstances regulate the stove with a line voltage thermostat (baseboard type heater stat). Even if there is a nice length upward section allowing a good draft there is nothing to say that a good windy day or night and the stove kicks off because of the power cord is switched by a stat that you will not end up with a room full of smoke.

I have a quadrafire that is on/off controlled via thermostat and has a high med low manual setting. When the stat is satisfied it stops feeding pellets and both the combustion fan and room heat fan continue to blow until the stove cools off. The combustion fan probably continues to blow for 10 minutes after the fire is visibly out.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Moving house AC unit
Hopefully this all makes sense. In our potential kitchen/house...
Jennifer Weinman
Has anyone found solution to HVAV Dirty Sock Syndrome
Two years ago I had a Trane heat pump installed in...
idreos
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Sponsored Products
Emile Henry Red Pizza Stone - 14.5 in. - 617514
$50.00 | Hayneedle
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Barn Dance 24 in. x 18 in.
Home Depot
Tin Patina Pendant Light
$134.99 | Dot & Bo
Pleasant Hearth Turin Electric Fireplace - 288-14-66
$612.75 | Hayneedle
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Laughter and Garlic 17 in.
Home Depot
Which Came First Dishtowel - Set of 2
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Vineyard Window I 24 in. x
Home Depot
Pleasant Hearth Cabinet Pellet Burning Stove with LED Comfort Control System - B
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™