Iron Stains on White Clothing

chrstnamarieJune 9, 2014

It seems our water softener was not working properly last week. I started to get a metallic smell in the master shower, so I call to have the water tested. Not even thinking, the night before they came I did my daughters laundry, and put it straight in the dryer.

Long story short we realized there was a leak in one of the hoses, so the backwash was not performing correctly and, therefore, we probably had some iron slippage.

That night I went to fold my daughters laundry and found her favorite all white, non-100% cotton dress completely rust stained. I didn't think any of the other whites were stained, until she wore a black and white striped shirt out in the sun yesterday and it was definitely tinged yellow (but looked bright white under the house lights).

So, my question is - is there any hope for her dress and other whites that were in that load since I already put through the dryer? I have Iron Out and was planning on soaking them once they come back out and assure me my softener is working properly.

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Iron-out might be all you need.

If you need a stronger rust stain remover, Barkeeper'sFriend clenaser (the powder) has oxalic acid in it. Sprinkle a bit onto the stain (wet the cloth) and let it sit.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™