Can a cracked marble vanity top be repaired? cross/post

jterrilynnJanuary 21, 2013

Sorry, I posted this first in decorating but I think this is a better spot.

Hi all, on January 3rd I had cappuccino marble vanity tops installed. I did not notice a crack on the day I paid. However, we have not used that area or the bathroom yet as husband had to finish grouting the shower and I had to do some paint touch-ups. Two days ago after cleaning the tops I noticed a crack that covers the six inches from the small side end toward the sink. It is not real noticeable unless the light hits it just right. I am worried though about the few tiny ragged bits in the mid section of the crack. I have a call into the installer but would like a bit of education. I would like to just have it repaired. Would they use epoxy? If so, would the top then be good to go with no worries down the road?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jterrilynn

Well this is odd. two days ago the crack stopped short of the under mount sink and today the crack has spread down to the lip of the under mount marble rim area. We have not even used the bathroom. I didn't know a crack could travel like this.

This is the best close-up I can get. It starts at this end and did stop short of the sink. However, today (still have not used bathroom) the crack had spread to marble lip on under-mount area.

I can not get a good picture due to the glare. First picture shows the crack and in 2nd picture the crack is in between the pencil line for more clarification.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 15:43

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 3:16PM
oldryder

If you can't snag a fingernail on it I wouldn't worry about it. If it is irregular in a few areas a good fabricator can patch it so you'll never notice it. what you are seeing isn't common but it does happen with natural stone on occasion. if the crack was proximate to the sink cutout I'd be a little suspicious of the install but given the location it looks like the stone is just being stone. a very thin viscosity adhesive (think crazy glue)can be applied to the crack. It will wick into the stone and prevent the crack from separating. (It shouldn't separate anyway if its properly installed because with proper install there is no mechanical stress on the stone to pull it apart.)

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 5:44PM
srosen

I agree with oldryder looks like a weakness in the stone.
Should be sanded to smooth out the rough spots possibly.The using a cyanoacrylate(ca or crazy glue)it can be repaired and repolished. The fabricator should be able to handle that repair.If he cant for whatever reason find a bone fide stone refinisher to handle it.
Use clear glue so the repair looks like a natural vein or fissure.
Dont let them open it up and fill it with colored polyester(like epoxy but easier to work with)

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Scrappy -- ? about ikea BOHOLMEN dish drainer
I noticed you have pictures of it in use -- is it sturdy...
lawjedi
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Can a quarter sawn or black kitchen be fun?
Hello.... We are looking for whatever assistance/guidance...
leonardlikespizza
New Caesarstone Frosty Carrina & London Gray light marble looks
It seems these aren't in the states as yet but they...
blondelle
Feedback on revised kitchen layout
Hello again! After receiving some great feedback for...
kevinhoene
Sponsored Products
Yosemite Home Decor Ceiling Mounted Lighting 2-Light Overhead Fluorescent Light
$43.20 | Home Depot
Freeport Outdoor Pendant by Hinkley Lighting
$225.00 | Lumens
Green Mirror Tray
$18.99 | zulily
2-Light Wall / Bath Antique Brushed Nickel
$77.90 | PLFixtures
Capital Lighting 1036 Vanity Fixture
1800Lighting