Orange stains after bleaching white shirt

JoyfulJanJune 14, 2011

I always use a 50/50 solution of Chlorox/water on my husband's collars for the neck grime. This time the collar came out with orange stains on it. I have re-applied the bleach to no avail. What has happened here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izeve

You may want to check the thread down below titled "Sunscreen leaving a ring around collar" - sounds like a problem very similar to yours.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 12:53PM
sshrivastava

Liquid chlorine bleach will turn fabrics yellow if you have iron in your water.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:33PM
Cavimum

Which detergent do you use? Ever since I started using detergents with enzymes and oxygen bleach, and wash them on "warm"(86F), my DH's golf shirts don't need to collars pre-treated anymore for sunscreen & grime. They come clean on their own.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 3:15PM
sshrivastava

@ Cavimum

Are you sure 86F=warm? I forgot what machine you had, I'm assuming Miele since I see you are active in the Miele threads, but for some reason I remember you had an LG. Miele's "warm" is 105F and "cold" is 85F. This is why I wish washer makers would just rely on temps instead of vague representations such as hot, warm and cold.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 6:29PM
Cavimum

'stava - Oops, my bad. Thanks for catching that. You're right --- Warm is 105F setting instead of 86F (which is Cold - what I use for darks). All these numbers . . . life was simple with the old TL where it was Hot, Warm or Cold, no internal heater, Warm was cooler in winter, and Cold was downright icy.

I have a metric chart over my washer, with the ml's to TB's, and the C:F temperature conversions & descriptions.

It's a whole new world.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™