cooking for one!?!

klseiverdJune 8, 2014

I swear by my Food Saver as someone usually cooking 1-2 portions of about anything... for dinner and then lunch the next day most of the time.

A regular sized package of something like boneless/skinless chicken breasts or even ground beef is WAY more than I want to cook. I repackage into individual portions and vac seal... no freezer burn.

And yesterday had 2 MAJOR scores at yard sales. Spent $10 and came home with bags easily worth $50... an UNOPENED box of 4 rolls, a package of 30-40 (I'm guessing" quart bags, and 2-3 almost whole rolls. AND an upgrade to the FS I already have!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Snomam

that has to be one of the best yard sale finds ever! My recipes are for two people and now it's just me so I vac-seal leftovers and don't have to cook as often. :-)

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 3:45PM
grainlady_ks

That certainly WAS a great find. I once was in a salvage store that had FoodSaver pre-cut bags and rolls of bags "dirt cheap" and I purchased all they had and used them for years.

Personally, I'd rather cook large batches, portion/freeze/vacuum-seal, and only have to make some things a few times year, when possible.

You can pay around $1 for one cup of rice you can microwave in one minute (comes 2 containers to a box) - which is very convenient for people who are cooking for one or two. Or you can buy rice in bulk and it will cost around 5-cents per 1 cup of cooked rice if you cook it yourself and freeze it. I try to make the largest amount I can in the rice cooker and then freeze it in user-friendly portions. I may only make rice twice a year using this method. Same thing for a variety of beans - it's much cheaper than buying canned beans.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:30AM
klseiverd

I'm pretty good at cooking JUST enough rice for 1-2 servings, BUT I'm one of those people who always cooks too much pasta!?! It vac seals well (rice, too) and ready to eat in no time from frozen.

The 2 main supermarkets I go to will often SLASH prices on meat/chicken when it's 2-3 dates BEFORE sell-by date. I'll reportion, vac and freeze for future meals.

The FS bags aren't terribly expensive, but certainly NOT CHEAP... it's gonna be a nice LONG time before I'll even have to think of buying more!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
Easter Sunday Dessert
My favorite dessert is a good home-made pound cake....
Robert Givens
Question for Grainlady or other good bakers
My daughter-in-law has recently developed gluten intolerance--she...
laceyvail
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Another kitchen science accidental experiment
The other day I made a soup with potatoes, tomatoes,...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™