Removing Dye Transfer

itguy08June 24, 2011

So I did a Boneheaded thing yesterday and put a purple shirt that I thought wouldn't transfer dye anymore into a wash of light clothes. Including a couple white shirts. Oops, now I have a brown/purple white shirts - the rest of the laundry seems fine.

Tried soaking overnight in 1 cup of Clorox Color Safe bleach in a 5 gallon bucket and nothing. Still look the same....

Anything else to try? Really don't want to soak in chlorine bleach but if that's what it takes...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregpsnow

Rit makes a color remover for things like this. I have not used it but there are reviews from satisfied customers and tips at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rit Color Remover

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 5:16PM
Cavimum

Ditto the Rit color remover. It can be hard to find, but if you have a JoAnn fabric store, I found it in the tee-shirt dyeing section of the crafts dept. I saw it somewhere else recently, but can't remember.

I can't remember if you own a Miele, but sshrivastava pointed out that I could not use this product in my washer, per the owners manual. A big plastic bucket would work, though.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 6:08PM
sshrivastava

Yes, page 24 of the W4842 manual has a warning box saying DO NOT use dye removers! I would check the instruction manual of your particular machine to ensure use of such a product is safe for your particular machine.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 11:29AM
itguy08

Thanks for the tips. I tried looking for it at the grocery store and Target and came up empty handed. The nearest craft store is a ways away and didn't want to spend the gas for a couple free shirts that I use mainly as exercise clothes.

So I made up a 5 gallon bucket of maybe a cup of bleach and the rest hot water. Dunked the shirts int here for maybe 5-10 minutes and they are pretty white now. Rinsed them well in the sink and ran them through a quick cycle with an extra rinse with some detergent. They look decent. White again with a hint of yellow but for running at night and other exercise duties that will do.

But I will have to keep an eye out for the Rit (or pick some up next Amazon order) as it may be a good thing to have.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 8:15AM
Cavimum

itguy08 - I think I saw it at WalMart in the Laundry section. I think that is the other place I saw it, as I haven't been to too many stores in the past month.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™