Please help! Can't believe I had a color run!

smargeJune 22, 2010

I washed a load of light colors, which was a combo of clothing that had color and white in it.

Stupidly didn't notice/remember that a new pair of my daughter's socks (commercially sold tye-dyed pink and white) were in the sorted pile and put the entire load in on a regular warm wash.

Now, panties, pj's, tshirts, etc are pink where the white was, and clothing that was touching the socks is VERY pink, even on previously colored areas.

I could try bleaching it all, but I think there must be a better way.

My daughter's favorite tshirt (all-over bright yellow with a large smiley face in small golden studs all over the front) has splotches of pink on the bottom that shows through even though I had turned it inside-out to protect the little sequins. I can't find another shirt like it, and am afraid of destroying it with bleach.

I've rewashed, on hot, using a large scoop of oxy-clean with zero result.

Now I'm soaking all the affected clothing in a mixture of water, lots of baking soda and about a cup of vinegar.

I've done a search for "color run" but have not found a thread discussing this.

Can anyone help? (front loader)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

Go to the quilting forum. This is a common occurrence with quilters and they use a product called a color catcher. I've never used it, but I'll bet they can help. Do not run these clothes in heat to set it, keep soaking until you find an answer. I'm not sure vinegar was the best idea, either. It can set dyes. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 12:39PM
lascatx

I use color catcher (sold in sheets similar to fabric softener ) to prevent color runs. Couldn't hurt to try rewashing with a sheet or two. I would also soak (not wash) with oxyclean -- it may take as many as 2 or 3 soakings left overnight or all day, but I got run dye out of a patchwork Christmas tree skirt that had been packed away for a year when we first tried oxyclean.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 5:22PM
hcj1440

Vinegar is used to set dyes and colors so I wonder if that soak did more damage.

I was able to get out red that bled onto a bunch of white items by soaking in Biz (not sure how or if that is different from oxi). It eventually came out all the way with many more washes using just regular detergent, but the Biz took it down to a tolerable level so the items could be worn without embarrassment.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Fisher Paykel Washer/Dryer
Sears is now carrying Fisher Paykel washers and dryers....
phyllisb
Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load
Hi, I've been searching for the answer to this question...
jenmenke
Getting ready to buy Speed Queens
Actually did purchase a pair of Speed Queens for home...
socks
Sponsored Products
Scalamandre Tartan Tufted Decorative Pillow
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
Two Agatha Upholstered Side Chairs
$999.00 | Horchow
BABA Barstool
| Italy Design
14 Series Twenty-Six Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$11,960.00 | Lumens
Ballot Almond Loveseat
bryght.com