HELP- red shirt bled all over the laundry

jannieJune 9, 2007

My daughter threw her red shirt in the washer yesterday. The dye went into everything, so now all her white socks and underwear are pink. Is there any way to get the dye out? Or does she have to live with her new pink underclothes? Tossing out everything is not an option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evaperconti

Have you dried them yet? If you haven't, try running them through as hot a wash as the fabrics can stand, with a generous amount of Oxiclean. If that doesn't work, soak them overnight in a bucket of water and Oxiclean.

If you've dried them, there's no cure. Sorry!

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 12:14PM
jannie

Yeah, they went thru the dryer. I guess some will have to go out. She'll see them and hate the way they look. It's not even a pretty pink.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 4:12PM
looser

I would try the oxi-clean anyway. It can't make it worse and not all colors get set by high temperatures. Give it a try!

And for the future, it is always good to have some "color catcher sheets" handy to through in with newer, colorful clothes. They even catch some grey color when there isn't any real color bleeding...

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 4:53PM
mielemiele

Try Rit Color Remover.

It's made to remove dye that bleeds onto whites. It's sold in the laundry section on most supermarkets with the fabric dyes.

I used it to remove dye that bled from green towels onto my whites that were washed together.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 9:43PM
ebear1271

Try washing in the hottest water you can (adding oxyclean helps) and hang them in the sun to dry. The sun is like a natural bleach.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 10:43PM
evaperconti

Also, in the future, wash anything that might bleed by itself and use white vinegar in the rinse. That sets the dye and it won't bleed.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 9:11AM
washer_man

Using an HE detergent might help as well. HE detergents have additives that also help set the dyes so they won't bleed.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™