Any Advantage in Commercial Maytag Washers?

bestf100June 12, 2011

I'll be looking to buy a new front load washer within the next 6 months. I would love to have 1) commercial grade quality 2) few whistles and bells 3) durability (at least 10 years).

I would normally lean towards a new Speed Queen Front loader. However, at 2.8 cubic feet, the drum volume is a tad small (family of 4 with two teenage boys).

Question:

Do the commercial Maytag front load washers, such as Model # MHN30PD give you any advantages over their residential front load counterparts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrb627

Why don't you take an average load of clothes to your speed queen dealership and see if they fit in the machine?

I have a speed queen front loader and find it holds the same amount of clothing as the L.G. that it replaced.

MRB

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:37PM
bestf100

MRB,
Thanks for replying. If your Speed Queen front loader holds as much clothing as your previous LG - then:

1) How big was your LG (in drum volume) & what model number was it?

2) The same amount of clothes fit, but are they all clean? Just askin'

3) Any quality issues with the Speed Queen? How long you owned it?

I still would like to know if the commercial Maytags differ internally from the residential, homeowner models (such as better bearings, pumps, etc)? Anyone know?

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 8:18PM
mara_2008

I don't know anything about commercial Maytag washers (I have an HE TL Maytag Bravos, and love it), but I think that whatever washer you buy, you will want/need one that will give you true hot water. If you buy an HE washer, you will need an internal water heater to give you true hot water unless you live in a tropical climate.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:35PM
mrb627

Yes, my laundry is clean in the Speed Queen. The difference is that I can fill the Speed Queen to the top of the tub. The LG could only effectively wash at 2/3rds full.
The LG (4.0 cu ft, I think) had a tilted drum which reduced the effective space that could be used. The SQ has a true horizontal wash basket which means more effective wash action of the drum.

MRB

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 8:26AM
itguy08

Just curious - how does a tilted drum reduce the effective wash space? The LG's squirt detergent water on the front throughout a large part of the wash cycle.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:54PM
mrb627

The LG machine I had didn't pump water over the wash load during washing. If I filled the drum on the LG, clothing would tangle and not spin out at the highest speed. Almost always, I would find some article of clothing hiding in the rubber boot at the end of the cycle.

MRB

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Favorite detergents again, please.
What are your favorite detergents (specify liquid or...
isherwood777
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Getting ready to buy Speed Queens
Actually did purchase a pair of Speed Queens for home...
socks
LG/Kenmore Elite 5.2 washer & 9.0 Dryer
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!! Does anyone have any...
larsi_gw
Sponsored Products
TOTO Nexus(R) Deck-Mount Bath Faucet
Modern Bathroom
MaxLite RFR614ICAT50W 6 inch can LED Retrofit, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Comfort Style Wood Grain Cushion Mat (1'6 x 4')
Overstock.com
Modernoutdoor | Luma High Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Rowenta Commercial Pro Master Iron
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Commercial Electric 6 in. Recessed Lighting Housings and Trims (6-Pack) CER105
$64.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™