3rd floor radiator

jozzyOctober 28, 2011

Hello -

I recently added a 3rd floor baseboard hot water radiator in our attic. The boiler is in the basement and has a circulator pump attached. Every radiator in our house has both a supply and return running to it.

Problem is the attic radiator never heats up. If I open the bleeder valve, I get water. If I leave it open long enough I get hot water. However, the water never circulates to the radiator.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

This is a completely separate zone? Is the appropriate circulator pump running?

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jozzy

No, it is all the same zone. Do you think a separate zone is needed? Ideally, I'd like to get away without a second zone to avoid additional expense. I usually keep the water to attic radiator off and leave the door to the attic open - that keeps it warm up there. Only reason I want this radiator to work is that I'm selling the house and the next owner may not want to keep the attic door open...long story short, the radiator was there before we bought the house but I'm the first one to have the plumbing ran to the radiator.
If I did need to add a second zone would I need a new aquastat (currently have a Honeywell L8148J)? Assumming an additional circulator is also required. Trying to gauge costs...
Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
What in the world is this thing? (Water furnace) And I need a new one?
Hi. So my new condo has an ancient thing I've been...
halgreene
In Floor Radiant Heat for Two Story
My husband and I are buying an old house with radiators....
kmosbacher
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
80,000 BTU to 45,000 BTU?
Greetings, I am in the process of replacing the heating/ac...
LuckyJoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™