too-hot dishes in microwave
Hi! I didn't want to hijack Annie's birthday food thread, but she said something I wanted to ask about. She said that plates that get too hot in the microwave (hotter than her other newer dishes) might contain higher levels of lead. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or if this should be a concern?
I ask because my favorite coffee mug is from when I was a kid in the mid-1970's. It's cream colored and has my name printed in diagonal capital letters in brown. (These were popular then, I think. I can't believe mine still survives. I love it because it's the perfect size.) Anyway, I can't microwave this mug because it gets just too dangerously hot...especially the handle. Much hotter than any of my 1999 Pfalzgraff dishes. I'm curious now after Annie's thread about whether I should really be drinking from this mug as often as I do!
Anyone know about lead in old ceramics?