Laundry Room flooring

kimcocoJune 1, 2011

We're remodeling a laundry room in our 1920's basement - we will be painting cinder block walls, and we have enough natural sunlight with glass block windows.

We'll be spraying the original exposed ceiling beams white, walls will be a light color undecided as of yet.

Wondering what everyone does for basement laundry room floors in terms of colors - we'll be adding ceramic tiles, and we're undecided whether we should go with a light, dark or medium tile.

What are the cons with dark laundry room floors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cavimum

IMO the only con with a dark floor is it will keep the room dark and may affect resale whenever you move. If this was my situation, I would use a light tile, to keep the area bright, with a stained (colored) grout. Grout is impossible to keep clean.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 10:17AM
oregpsnow

Why tile? Tile with any color grout sounds iffy in a basement. Why not an alternative like the "new" linoleum? It has been reborn in beautiful colors, is eco-friendly, cheap and very durable in a basement. No cracking like tile, no dirty grout to clean. Great for a 1920's house.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:25AM
njannrosen

I put a light beige/bone tile in my laundry room and love it. It's easy to clean and looks a lot better than painted cement which peals and requires some maintenance. I would caution against dark tile because most lint is white and it'll require more frequent sweeping.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 8:03PM
kimcoco

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll go with a darker grout and a light tile.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
HELP!! Dryer side vent question/Help (Samsung)
Hello! does anyone have a dryer that they had to use...
peasknees
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™