type of AC/heat unit

texashomeownerSeptember 4, 2011

My old heat pump unit is mismatched and not working and I'm planning on installing a new unit. Have been looking at the various 15 SEER units - lennox, trane & Rudd. However, one of the contractors mentioned to me the other style of AC split system - like a Daikin Split System. I have seen them in restaurants and noticed that they have a somewhat bulky look to them, plus they would need a new installation (I already have all the ductwork). The contractor said they now make them that just look like a vent. What are people's opinions about these? Are they worth looking at? I have just about made my decision as to the heat pump and told the contractor. Should I reconsider? I don't read about a lot of people who have these types of units.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Threecats407

If you were not having problems with existing ducted system why would he suggest this solution? Yes in some places they are the only practical way.
I can speak highly of the Ruud line.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 10:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Texas

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
best matching VS air handler
full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
scroll compressor preferred
electronic demand defrost preferred
thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
staged backup heat strips
new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset
10 yr warranty compressor and parts

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Can a house and cottage share a condenser?
I have a house (1000sf) and cottage (440sf) with about...
aptosca
can people share their weekly propane use and square footage, please?
With the coldest weather in roughly 20 years here,...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Insulating floor on my raised home in Louisiana.
We recently installed solar panels on our home. We...
ktyler1320
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™