Will I regret going oversize on new gas boiler?

walrusSeptember 12, 2011

Have a quote to install a Burnham gas fired SCG5 boiler, concentric vent, Watts 911S, Taco SR504, piping, remove old system, electrical and whatever else completes the system for $7300 including the local gas company incentive.

The proper size to install has been calculated to be a SCG4, but we're contemplating an addition sometime down the road and a SCG5 would be the proper size if/when that happens.

The contractor recommends installing the SCG5 now, with a manifold with extra connections to accommodate the addition.

How bad would it be long term if the SCG5 is installed and we don't do the addition?

We're upgrading from a 1979 oil fired system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SpringtimeHomes

Sounds like a good plan depending on how long before you add on. Your boiler will probably short cycle which will shorten its life. If there is chance you wont add on its a little risky. You could do the smaller unit and plan on making the addition super efficient.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

I assume this is a hot water system and not steam.

I am a homeowner and not an expert, but you have to be careful about matching the size of the boiler to the amount of baseboard. You should discuss with the HVAC contractor how this will affect the performance.

I suppose you can think of the extra manifold being connected to a separate zone which is never enabled.

Boilers have long lives, so I would not be worried about reducing it. I grew up in old houses which had oversized boilers. They seemed to last forever.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Mike_home, is this a good idea? re: thermostat
@mike_home, You wrote this back in 2012 and I just...
cindywhitall
ERV Systems
Hello: Is it really safe to forego bathroom exhaust...
Dona Dinkler
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™