Changing granite to marble/caesarstone

redrozeJanuary 23, 2014

Has anyone ever removed a perfectly good granite countertop and replaced it with another one? Mine is Bianco Antico, and though it's perfectly beautiful I always have had the nagging feeling that I should have gone with my gut. And my gut said to go with marble, and my brain said that granite would be more reasonable. Recently I saw a kitchen with the most fabulous idea - veined marble on the island (we use ours mainly for prep) and a matching plain white Caesarstone on the perimeters. Beauty and function all in one!

My kitchen is only 5 years old...so if we were to remove the counters we'd obviously move them elsewhere. I think we could use them for our future (way way future) basement reno as we'll add a mini kitchen down there. However, what kind of damage would I be doing to my cabinets? Am I just crazy and I should I just stop being a spoiled brat and live with my decision?

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GauchoGordo1993

Depends how the counter is mounted to the cabinets.

Best case scenario, the counter is glued to plywood, and the plywood is affixed to the cabinets with screws from below, in which case you can unscrew the plywood from below and the counters & plywood will come right up. Mine are installed like this.

However, if the counter is glued directly to the cabs, or if the plywood is screwed into the cabs from above, then it's far more difficult to disassemble.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:07PM
tuxedord2

That is the danger of Gardenweb!! You have a gorgeous kitchen as is!

I am in a similar situation as I want marble and or quartz (I like Raven, organic white and London Gray), but we are moving in 18 months or less. So I am trying to find a granite that will mimic the look hence appealing to a potential buyer. Yours does come close! But that gut problem does get in the way doesn't it?

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:16PM
oldryder

I am a fabricator.

you definitely could,salvage at least some of your existing tops. biggest risk is cracking of a sink or cooktop rail which can occur despite anything anyone ncan do.

re: removal; if 3CM typically they are only "glued" in place along the perimeter of the cabinets and can be cut free relatively easily. 2CM with a laminate edge typically has a plywood subtop which can make removal much harder.

in either case removing installled granite without damaging anything is a lot of work.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:19PM
sjhockeyfan325

I know this doesn't help anyone with anything, but I'm so excited because my Ceasarstone Organic White counters are going in starting, 3-2-1 NOW!! (kitchen and two bathrooms). Finally.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:32PM
MrsShayne

Wow your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous. I can see why you're dreaming of the marble island - they seem to be everywhere nowadays and do look good. Never the less, your kitchen looks great and I wouldn't bother changing anything unless the granite started having major issues (cracking or something). You could have formica and your kitchen would still look good... hehehe.. I say enjoy the granite because it looks good and is durable.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:03PM
redroze

Woohoo sjhockeyfan! That's exciting.

Thanks for all the help all. Looks like my dreams will have to deal with reality. I don't think it's worth it. Maybe an island counter change would be less risky as it only has a prep sink...but marble definitely wouldn't match it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:40PM
debrak2008

redroze, I think your kitchen is beautiful as is. Maybe its because I have your granite and think is really adds something to a kitchen. White cabinets with white marble would just seem boring to me but everyone is different.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:33PM
sjhockeyfan325

Your kitchen really is beautiful, even with a stone that isn't "perfect" (to your eye). I was going to say you could just change the island surface, but then I realized you already have different cabinets on the perimeter and the island so I think that would be too many different finishes, and having the countertops all the same ties it all together. I think it's not worth the expense or the trouble.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 7:47PM
soodle

Your kitchen is beautiful but I also believe if you can afford it, follow your heart:)

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:05PM
annkathryn

redroze I have a marble island and white Caesarstone perimeter counters. While I love the combination, I have to weigh in with a cautious "no" for your kitchen. Since you have all white cabinets on your perimeter, I think a white counter there will look very stark. I know sjhockeyfan voted against this (and I understand her reasoning), but what about only replacing the island counter with marble, and leaving the perimeter counters as they are right now? You could buy some butcher block paper and cover the island top with it to get an idea.

I think your kitchen is gorgeous as it is, but I understand the lure of marble.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 9:04PM
threegraces

I think your kitchen is just perfect as is!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:11PM
redroze

I hear all of you and agree the granite is beautiful. That's why I feel like a spoiled brat!

Annakathryn what marble colour do you think would work? I adore your kitchen.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:21PM
sammy62

redroze, My husband just pulled up all our granite countertops as he was sick of them (almost 120 years old).
I am going to put Bianco Antico on my island and Zodiac quartz on my perimeter. Hoping to maybe use our old granite for a vanity top or a gas fireplace possibly.
You can remove it, just depends on how it is attached and have to be careful. I think your kitchen is beautiful.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:30PM
annkathryn

redroze your kitchen seems to be taupe-y, on the gray side as opposed to the gold side, so a marble with more gray veins rather than caramel/cream seems the way to go. Some of the calacatto oro slabs might work if they tend towards gray.

Contemporary Kitchen Countertops by Austin Tile, Stone & Countertops Artisan Group Stone and Wood Countertops

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:47AM
redroze

Sammy - I have a friend who has Bianco Antico on the island and grey quartz on the perimeters. So can vouch for the fact that it will look really nice!

Annakathryn, yes you're right that it's very gray and not warm/gold. Calacatta oro...you're totally speaking my language. I actually used Calacatta Gold (which I'm assuming is Oro in Italian?) in our bathrooms. Hmm I have a small slab...let me see what it looks like against the BA.

Here is a link that might be useful: My master bath

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:50AM
redroze

Hmm...what do you think? Keep the BA on the perimeter (which reads overall more dark/grey/taupe than the white due to the amount of dark in it) and Calacatta Oro on the island? Does it work?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:56AM
juliet11

I think your granite is beautiful and your kitchen is gorgeous as is. And you don't have to worry about etching as you would with marble. Changing your island to that marble won't make your kitchen look any better and it might be worse because I'm not sure if the patterns in your granite go that well with that marble.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 1:35PM
Trebruchet

Apply generous gobs of hot melt adhesive on the small edge of a 2x4 then adhere it to the sink and/or cooktop cut-out rails. Extending past each cutout a foot or so, the 2x4s provides granite the strength in tension it doesn't have but needs to be moved without cracking.

Smack the top edge of the 2x4 to remove it, scrape the glue off the stone, and cleanup with a little solvent after it's reinstalled.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:19PM
pagesturned

Redroze, why not simply wait and use the marble in your basement kitchen?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:21PM
MrsBrad

We just bought a new house that had a kitchen with a terrible layout and cabinets/granite countertops that were not our style. We were able to remove the granite countertops without damaging the cabinets. We removed the whole kitchen and were able to sell them on craigslist. I'm not sure if all kitchens would remove as easily as ours, but other than the amount of time it took, it was not difficult. Good luck with your decision!

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:44PM
weissman

Yes, you're being a bit ridiculous - the kitchen looks great as is - but if you've got the money to redo it the way you want (including cabinet repair/replacement), then go for it.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:48PM
redroze

Thanks for the opinions all...food for thought. I'll have to discuss with my husband. Making a marble kitchen in the basement would be a nice alternative too...kinda indulgent but I guess there will be a lot less counter down there so more affordable too.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 9:14AM
michelle16

Can be done, we put granite in our kitchen on the exsisting cabinets, that I thought would do it for me, and then 5 years later donated the counters and cabinets to put in a whole new kitchen. Nothing was damaged, Green Demolitions did a great job removing everything and at least it could be reused. So if your using it in the basement eventually, your still getting use out of it. do the marble in the kitchen, rather than the basement, because it sounds like that is what you always wanted..

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:51AM
redroze

Totally agree Michelle and it's good to hear others have had success with it!!! I'm excited....something to look forward to.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 2:00PM
debrak2008

FYI - redroze, I went to look at your kitchen again and the link goes to nothing.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 2:42PM
redroze

Debrak2008...sorry about that. I'm in the process of moving my website to another domain. Here's the new link.

Here is a link that might be useful: My new blog

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 10:19AM
redroze

Woops let me try that again

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 10:20AM
lcskaisgir

Reading through the thread, I realize the photo of the kitchen (of AnnKathryn I believe) is the kitchen I saw on Houzz and copied the pendant lights from!! Thanks AnnKathryn! I love my pendant lights!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 10:38AM
annkathryn

redroze have you decided to go ahead and make the change?

lcskaisir the photo I posted above from Houzz isn't my kitchen. Were those the pendants you bought? Very pretty. Mine were Bruck Rainbow II which I love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bruck pendants

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:05PM
lcskaisgir

Lol, that's what I get for skimming through quickly! I read that redroze loved your kitchen annkathryn and then I saw a photo of a kitchen posted by you so I assumed that was yours! I bought those pendants about a year ago after seeing them in that Houzz photo, funny to see that exact photo posted on here. Sorry for misunderstanding! Now I really want to see your kitchen!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:17PM
annkathryn

lcskaisgir my kitchen is much less grand than the one I posted in the photo above, but I'm still happy with it after a year of using it. Link to the reveal thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kitchen: Ikea, walnut, marble and glossy white

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:51PM
lcskaisgir

I'm sorry redroze for hijacking your thread. This is my last off-subject comment, I promise!

Annkathryn, your kitchen is beautiful! I especially love the island counter, walnut counter, and niche cabinet. And I also really love your stair rail and the clever storage under your stairs!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:09PM
annkathryn

thanks lcskaisgir :)

Sorry for the hijack, redroze.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 2:21PM
redroze

No apologies needed!! Ironically I read through the lessons learned on my blog and realized that I was being wistful over something I didn't choose. I love my kitchen the way it is and if a change in counter was ever a reasonable possibility down the line, I'll do it. For moe il enjoy it as it is!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 2:44PM
redroze

Oh and I disagree annkathryn, your kitchen is drool worthy. That marble waterfall is to die for. It's kitchens like yours that (almost) make me want to yank out my granite.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
Kitchen cracking in back panels
We had brand new white shaker cabinets installed in...
siegel438
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™